EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 11:16:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: folding rear seats  (Read 21125 times)
TerryG

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »

My new Nox is a replacement for a 2006 Pontiac Vibe. With the kids off and gone its now my wife and I and the Golden Retriever Riley. Riley goes with us everywhere so the entire rear section is hers. I miss the Vibe in this respect. The rear seats in the Vibe folded flat but not the Nox. I cut a blue poly tarp to fit the rear section then  cut a piece of indoor outdoor carpet to go in over the tarp material. We are avid Geocachers as is the dog so she is in and out of the car alot. When necessary we can remove the tarp and carpet for cleaning or for hauling passengers. For those who arent familar with Goldens, they are capable of shedding enough long golden hair to fill up the entire rear portion of the car in a single sitting so protecting the carpet and seats is a must. Yank out  the carpet, vacuum it and then to the local laundromat and wash it. Works great.

2010 LS Mocha Steel 2.4 AWD, Curt hitch and wiring. Husky liners, bug shield and mud guards and Golden Retriever hair!
Superboy95

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »

Ours is a replacement for an 03 Vibe.  I had the same question about the back seats and the dealer told me the designers of the interior went for comfort instead of the flat-folding seats, so the butt pad is more contoured than the Vibe was.  Too bad they couldn't do both like they did in the Traverse...
Steve A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:47:59 PM »

I hate to appear, and be, uninformed, but, what are "Geocachers" ??  Surely you aren't out looking for Chevrolet Geos to cache away??
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »

Another Vibe-trader here.  I also miss the flat folding seat of the Vibe and the flat folding front seat.  Come on GM, the vibe was built in 2002, and this is 2010.  You went back in convenience on those 2 counts.  Otherwise, everything else is fantastic.  Just hope it holds up as well as the Vibe did.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Narg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:01 PM »

I debated this in my own head for a while.  I finally came to this conclusion:  Rear seat could either be 1. flat folding or 2. comfortable.  After thinking about it for a while, I feel the #2 choice was a fantastic choice by GM. 
GMCdriver

2010 AWD Terrain SLE2 V6 - Blue w/Titanium

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »

I debated this in my own head for a while.  I finally came to this conclusion:  Rear seat could either be 1. flat folding or 2. comfortable.  After thinking about it for a while, I feel the #2 choice was a fantastic choice by GM. 

I was under the impression that GM offerd choice 1 on the Saturn Vue and choice 2 on the Equinox & Terrain.
Steve A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »

Thanks for the explanation !! 
Narg

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »

I was under the impression that GM offerd choice 1 on the Saturn Vue and choice 2 on the Equinox & Terrain.

I'm not sure, but wasn't the Vue based on the old Theta design, and the new 'Nox and Terrain on the new design?  That may answer that question.  And the old design back seats were rated very badly.
GMCdriver

2010 AWD Terrain SLE2 V6 - Blue w/Titanium

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »

I'm not sure, but wasn't the Vue based on the old Theta design, and the new 'Nox and Terrain on the new design?  That may answer that question.  And the old design back seats were rated very badly.

02-07 Vue would be Old Theta, same as 1st gen 'Noxs & Torrents.
08+ Vues should be the first North American application to use the New Theta platform.
I think the SRX folds flat as well, I'm sure neither the SRX nor the Vue offer the sliding(for/aft) rear seat and that could have as much to do with it as anything I suppose.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 03:54:40 PM »

I think that the Honda CRV's use a fold-forward design, and they are also very comfortable.  I think they have the best of both worlds.  And RAV4's have an easy to remove rear seat and it is also very comfortable.  I would think that GM could have tried to "copy" one of these designs.   

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Brushstrokes

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »

I replaced my 2003 Venture with a new 2010 'Nox. The folding rear seat should have been a deal-breaker. There's no good reason to not fold completely flat. You lose a bunch of cargo space. My HHR has more usable cargo space.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »

The slanted rear seat makes it hard for me to carry my marbles.  I keep "losing my marbles" - but some say I already lost them before buying the Nox.

It just seems anoying they they couldn't find a couple of inches someplace to make the seats lie flat - we won't go there with the "finding a couple of inches".

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »

We want both - Heck, this is a Chevrolet, afterall.

I'll bet (or I should say, I hope) that the Mercedes SUV rear seat does both.  Mercedes owners are no better than we are - they put their pants on one leg at a time - or do they !!!

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Roesterman

Mocha Nox ordered Jan 7th -pick up April 13th 2010

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »

If you want to see how folding or hiding impacts seat comfort try sitting in midrow seats in a 2010 Chrysler van with 2 row stow and go seating. Seat is extremmely short and hard. The head rest ends up as part of the back rest. Seat may be okay for a kid , but not for an adult. I vote for comfort!

2010 Chevy Equinox
2LT 1SC 4cyl FWD
Mocha Brownstone Leather 
Trailer Pkg. Huskyliners
DVD  Sunroof  Cargo cover
Chrome Pkg  18" wheels
dm2010nox

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »

We want both - Heck, this is a Chevrolet, afterall.

yeah, some of my colleagues were lucky enough to ride in the back seat of my nox, and asked 'Well, what about bluray discs'.   Roll Eyes

So, you may ask, what is the point? 

My vote is for a$$hole ejector seats.  Cool Cool Cool

2010 NOX 2.4l AWD LTZ
cardinal red metallic/jet-black leather/18" wheels
rear entertainment/no-nav
like the one at the top of the equinoxforum page
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »

Hey, if GM figured out the A-hole ejector seats, then my wife would figure out a way to move the electronics to the driver's seat when I'm driving !  I wouldn't want that.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
jimmyisland

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »

The folding styles doesn't not bother me at all, but nothing is perfect.  Think of the good, the back seats movable forward or backward 8 inches to adjust your back rider leg rooms, plus it recline a little bit to adjust your taste, so, stop complaining small cargo space and uneven folding seats.  Serious, it doesn't bother me at all.
LeftyPJB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 04:55:09 AM »

For the 2010 Equinox, it is possible to remove the rear headrests to make the seats lay flat.  If you lift up the headrest toward the base to expose the 2 posts that go into the seat, you will see a plastic ring around the metal bar on each side.  On either side of the plastic ring, there is a tiny hole.  If you insert a small screwdriver (tiny, I found the small set in my local dollar store) into the hole and press hard (need to do both sides), it release the headrest and you can pull it out.  Voila!  The rear seat will fold flat.  When done, you can put the headrest back in until it clicks.

2010 Equinox LT2
4 Cyl / AWD
Exterior:  Silver Ice Metallic
Interior:  Jet Black/Light Titanium
Chrome Package & Rear Parking Assist
Sunroof
gearhead
Theta Freak

Motor City Born and Bred

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »

For the 2010 Equinox, it is possible to remove the rear headrests to make the seats lay flat.  If you lift up the headrest toward the base to expose the 2 posts that go into the seat, you will see a plastic ring around the metal bar on each side.  On either side of the plastic ring, there is a tiny hole.  If you insert a small screwdriver (tiny, I found the small set in my local dollar store) into the hole and press hard (need to do both sides), it release the headrest and you can pull it out.  Voila!  The rear seat will fold flat.  When done, you can put the headrest back in until it clicks.
That's good news for those who were looking to install booster seat tethers to the anchors at the backs of the rear seats.
There seemed to be no way to get the tether under the headrest without forcing it.
After reading your post, there may be hope for a clean install without forcing anything!
Thanks, leftypjb, for sharing!

2010 Terrain SLT-2 (rec'd Sep/09)
AWD V6 Carbon Black Metallic w/ Jet Black Int.
All available options
19" Chrome Rims
Window Weather Deflectors
Roof Rack Cross Rails
Cargo Cover, Liner, Net, Organizer
Front & Rear Splash Guards
Weathertech Floor Mats
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »

Are you saying that they will fold "perfectly" flat ?  If so, shame on GM for not giving you access to being able to remove the headrests - and QUODOS to you for figuring this out !!!  This made my day !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: